The Honor Concert Band is an honors ensemble that performs annually at the IMEA Professional Development Conference. It is comprised of high school students selected from a pool of nominations sent in by IMEA Member Band Directors. This prestigious performing ensemble works with a top clinician from around the country and gives students an opportunity to play with other high caliber students from throughout the state.
IMEA Professional Development Conference, January 16-18, 2020
125 W Jefferson Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
The fee for each student is $183. This cost includes hotel housing and meals during the rehearsal period.
Student Musician Selection
The philosophy of the IMEA Honor Band is a little different from a typical “auditioned” all-state group. We are interested in getting as many schools represented as possible while still maintaining the highest quality of personnel. We do not guarantee we will take one student from each school but will attempt to get as many schools represented as possible. Directors may nominate up to 4 students per school. The following criterion will be used by the IMEA Honor Band selection committee:
- A student’s participation in the ISSMA Solo/ Ensemble contest (Group I solo, Gold rating level at State will be given the greatest consideration. Difficulty of solo literature is considered as well list titles)
- A student’s previous participation in the IMEA Honor Band or other state honor bands (IBA All-state Band, IBA All-district, college all-state ensembles, community ensembles, etc.)
- Whether or not the student studies privately on his/her instrument, and if so, for how long, etc.
- Grade level is considered, with priority given to upperclassmen.
- Your recommendation as their director. Please be honest and consistent.
In order to nominate students to the Honor Band, you must be an IMEA member.
When you are ready to nominate students, please ensure you have all the information listed above for each student. The Honor Band Student Data Collection Form can be distributed to students so that you can collect their information.
Nominations must be submitted by November 1, 2019.
We welcome and encourage parents to attend the Honor Band concert at no additional fee!
Contact the IMEA office. Email email@example.com.
- Honor Band Student Data Collection Form PDF – 22 KB