At the 2018 professional development conference, IMEA will debut the Indiana All-State High School Handbell Choir. As far as we can determine, this may be the first of its kind in the nation. Assisting IMEA will be the Handbell Musicians of America (HMA). HMA is the national organization representing handbell choirs and individual handbell ringers. The group was formerly known as the American Guild of English Handbell Ringers (AGEHR). The handbells most widely used in the United States are often referred to as “English handbells.” Many schools in our country have curricula that include handbells and hand chimes, and one focus area within the HMA is handbells in schools.
The 2018 ensemble will perform on Friday January 12th as part of the IMEA Professional Development Conference performance lineup. Participating students will rehearse on Thursday January 11th and Friday January 12th. The format for submissions is similar to the Honor Concert Band, focusing on director submissions rather than an audition.
Read this article from the Summer/Fall 2017 edition of INfORM:
All State Handbell Choir
Frequently Asked Questions:
- If my student is selected, what is the cost: $183.00 per student for the 2018 ensemble.
- What does the cost include: costs include one night of hotel (4 students to a room), transportation around Fort Wayne where needed, meals Thursday evening and Friday.
- What does the cost not include: the student’s transportation to/from Fort Wayne, concert dress (all black) and any ancillary items the student might want such as a commemorative CD/DVD, etc.
- If my student lives in the Fort Wayne area: We recommend the student stay with the ensemble as much as possible, for group bonding and because rehearsals may run late, however if a selected student lives within a 15 mile radius of downtown Fort Wayne we will allow the student to stay at home.
On auditions, repertoire and qualifications: Dr. Jeffrey Doebler at email@example.com
- All State Handbell Choir PDF – 134 KB