The IMEA Composition Competition is an annual competition that offers young Indiana composers–grades 6-12–the opportunity to have their work evaluated by established composers/educators who provide written feedback. This event is designed to help these young composers learn and grow as creative musical thinkers.
- All composers submitting works will receive written comments from competition judges
- Winning works will be recognized at the 2019 State Conference by an IMEA plaque (Additional prizes may be awarded at IMEA discretion)
Saturday, January 19th, 2019
Embassy Theater in Fort Wayne in conjunction with the IMEA Professional Development Conference
- Online Registration Deadline: June 5th, 2018
- Score and Paper Entry Postmark Deadline: June 9th, 2018
There is a $35 entry fee per composition entry.
The IMEA Composition Competition is open to students in two different divisions:
- Middle School Division (Grades 6-8)
- High School Division (Grades 9-12)
Each student must reside in Indiana and be sponsored by a school or private teacher who is an IMEA/NAfME member. Students should enter their concurrent academic school year, or the most recently concluded year.
For more information, please refer to the “Entry Information and Guidelines” page in the sidebar.
Composers may enter in multiple categories, but may only submit one work in each category.
- Chamber Instrumental
- Concert Band/Wind Ensemble
- Jazz Big Band
- Jazz Combo
- Instrumental Solo
- Orchestra (String)
- Orchestra (Full)
- Percussion Ensemble
- Vocal Choir
- Vocal Jazz
- Vocal Solo (Accompanied or A Capella)
Finally, composers must mail three properly formatted and bound copies of the score (excluding electroacoustic) to the IMEA office:
Attn. Composition Competition
PO Box 30558
Indianapolis, IN 46220
See entry information & guidelines for details on formatting and binding