IMEA is pleased to launch the Southern Indiana Symposium & Clinic, a full-bodied professional development event for educators — specifically in the Southern Indiana area.
This year’s event will take place on Friday, September 9th and offer sessions for all level of Music Educator in Band, Orchestra, Choral and General Music. Visit the sessions link on the right hand side for more details.
September 8-9th, 2016
8:00a.m. (Registration) -4:00p.m. Central Time
University of Evansville (event partner)
Cost: $30 IMEA Members, $40 Non-Members, $15 Collegiates
Session Highlights: See side bar for information on each track.
- Choral: ‘Bring your Men’ Workshop — bring your men (Middle School through High School) to sing in this integrated workshop and session day.
- 2016 ‘Bring your Men’ Workshop leader: Matthew Oltman
- Visit the link on your right for more information.
- Matthew Oltman is Music Director Emeritus of the Grammy award-winning male vocal ensemble Chanticleer. During his tenure as Music Director, Mr. Oltman led the ensemble through three critically-acclaimed seasons that included over 300 concerts in more than a dozen countries. Mr. Oltman first joined Chanticleer in 1999 as a tenor and in 2004 was named Assistant Music Director under Joseph Jennings, a post he held until his appointment to Music Director in 2009. During his decade singing with the ensemble, he appeared on 12 albums and toured extensively in North America, Europe, and Asia. During the 2011-2012 academic year, Mr. Oltman served as Guest Director of Choral Activities at UC Berkeley, where he conducted the University Choir and the University Chamber Singers.
- Band: Join Richard Saucedo and Castle HS’s Marching Band through several sessions related to all of the areas of fine tuning your playing and marching presentation. These sessions will include in-classroom work as well as outdoor marching.
- General Music: Sessions in Orff, Kodaly and Dalcroze as well as deliver techniques for integrating all of these into your General Music classroom.
- Andrew Himelick will again return as lead clinician for the 2016 IMEA Southern Indiana Symposium.
2016 Session Schedule for General Music:
9 to noon – First Steps in Music – (3 hours)
1 to 2:30 – Singing Games (1 ½ hours)
2:30 to 4 – Folk Dancing (1 ½ hours)
- Instrumental: University of Evansville faculty will deliver instrumental technique sessions for saxophone, clarinet, flute, strings and providing tips on how to improve that stock dbl reed.
- Administration: Richard Saucedo will lead several sessions for music administrators including — working with parents, building relationships with administrators, and managing your fine arts department.
- Other great sessions: Sessions in classroom Suzuki, music and cognitive development and more.