The Northern Indiana General Fall Workshop is a one day workshop for general music teachers that is designed to give them new educational tools and tips as they head into the new academic school year. As a very interactive, hands-on workshop, teachers will explore new ways to get their students involved in the classroom from music room games, dancing, and other fun activities.
August 27th, 2016. Registration will begin at 8:00am.
Moreau Center for the Arts at St.Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana
$45 for IMEA Members
$55 for Non-Members
$22 for Collegiate or Retired Members
Registration will take place in the Little Theatre Lobby. Please park in the Faculty/Staff & Special Events lot. Online registration is also available.
- 8:30 — Coffee/Doughnuts, visit with vendors
- 9:00 — Welcome
- 9:30 —First Steps in Music: Emily Maurek
Music Games, Learning Centers and Music Room Fun
- This session explores numerous activities that compliment the concepts found in John Feierabend’s First Steps in Music curriculum. As we encourage our elementary students to become Tuneful, Beatful and Artful there are many possible extensions to further enhance the eight parts of a First Steps lesson. Join us for music making, dancing, games, learning centers, and lots of fun!
- 12:00 -1:00 — Lunch (Included with registration) / Visit vendors
- 1:00 — Sing, Move, Play: The Kodály Way: James Bowyer
- This interactive and engaging workshop will demonstrate how the Kodály concept may be used in the general music classroom to teach musicianship, literacy, audiation, and musicality. Participants will use songs, games, and movement to infuse skills and concepts seamlessly into lessons.
- 2:00 — Conceptual Learning in Elementary General Music: Debra Brown
- 3:00 — CSWS Reading Session: Kristin Kauffman
- 4:00 — Conclusion