The Indianapolis General Fall Workshop is a one day workshop for general music teachers that is designed to give them new educational tools and tips as they head into the new academic school year. As a very interactive, hands-on workshop, teachers will explore new ways to get their students involved in the classroom from music room games, dancing, and other fun activities.
August 20th, 2016. Registration will begin at 8:00am.
Butler University, Lilly Hall, Jordan College of Fine Arts, Indianapolis, Indiana
$45 for IMEA Members
$55 for Non-Members
$22 for Collegiate or Retired Members
- 9:30-10:30 – Session 1 – Roger Sams – A Story, A Song, and You’re Moving Along: Pictures Books in the Early Childhood Music Classroom
- Explore ways to use picture books with young children to cultivate pre-literacy music and movement skills, Preschool through Grade 2.
- 10:40- 11:40 – Session 2 – Lisa Sullivan – Did You Hear That? Active Listening Lessons Using Orchestral Works
- An introduction to the integration of body percussion and movement to three orchestral works! Through the use of visual media we will explore the form through body percussion, leading us ultimately to a full dance. Come experience active listening lessons, which make these wonderful works accessible to children.
- 11:40- 12:40 – Lunch
- 12:40- 1:40 – Session 3 – Roger Sams – Integrating Recorder Through Orff Schulwerk Process
- Roger presents models for using the recorder throughout the school year, integrating recorder playing with singing, saying, moving, and playing.
- 1:50- 2:50 – Session 4 – Dr. Joani Brandon – Singing Games
- 3:00- 4:00 – Reading Session – Sarah Hassler