The Honor Concert Band is an honors ensemble that performs annually at the IMEA Professional Development Conference. It is comprised of high school students selected from a pool of nominations sent in by IMEA Member Band Directors. This prestigious performing ensemble works with a top clinician from around the country and gives students an opportunity to play with other high caliber students from throughout the state.
IMEA Professional Development Conference, January 12-14, 2017
Rehearsals will begin Thursday evening on the 12th
Performance will take place Saturday January 14th
Dr. Joseph Scagnoli, conductor
Joe Scagnoli served as Director of Bands and Professor of Music Education for 22 years at Ball State University, serving as Associate Director of the School of Music during his last five years until his retirement in 2006. His teaching career spanned 43 years including 14 years as a high school band director and 29 years as a college band director. Dr. Scagnoli earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Ball State University and his Doctorate in Music Education from Syracuse University.
125 W Jefferson Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
The fee for each student is $175. This cost includes hotel housing and meals during the rehearsal period.
Student Musician Selection
The philosophy of the IMEA Honor Band is a little different from a typical “auditioned” all-state group. We are interested in getting as many schools represented as possible while still maintaining the highest quality of personnel. We do not guarantee we will take one student from each school but will attempt to get as many schools represented as possible. Directors may nominate up to 4 students per school. The following criterion will be used by the IMEA Honor Band selection committee:
- A student’s participation in the ISSMA Solo/ Ensemble contest (Group I solo, Gold rating level at State will be given the greatest consideration. Difficulty of solo literature is considered as well list titles)
- A student’s previous participation in the IMEA Honor Band or other state honor bands (IBA All-state Band, IBA All-district, college all-state ensembles, community ensembles, etc.)
- Whether or not the student studies privately on his/her instrument, and if so, for how long, etc.
- Grade level is considered, with priority given to upperclassmen.
- Your recommendation as their director. Please be honest and consistent.
In order to nominate students to the Honor Band, you must be an IMEA member
When you are ready to nominate students, please ensure you have all the information listed above for each student. The Honor Band Student Data Collection Form can be distributed to students so that you can collect their information.
Directors must complete their nominations online. When you have all of the relevant information collected you can visit our nomination form here.
Nominations must be submitted by November 3rd, 2016.
We welcome and encourage parents to attend the Honor Band concert at no additional fee!
Contact the IMEA office. Email email@example.com.
- Honor Band Student Data Collection Form PDF – 22 KB